A day trip is the best way to do some exploring when you don’t have a lot of time or money.
One of the things I love most about Madrid, is the fact that there are so many awesome cities nearby.
Are you a history buff? You have to check out Toledo (even if your not that into history). Toledo is the former capital of Spain and filled with history, charm, and a medieval vibe.
You can get to Toledo by bus, bla bla car (the uber of Europe), or train.
- Bus: Alsa is the company that will take you there leaving from Plaza Eliptica. A round trip ticket starts 11€at and will take a little under an hour to get there.
- Train: A round trip ticket on the renfewill start at 20,60€ and takes about 30 minutes to get there.
- Bla Bla Car– A round trip farestarts at 11€. It will take a little over an hour to get to Toledo by car.
*Hmmm, I thought I wrote about my time in Toledo. Guess I need to get on that lol…*
Segovia is a beautiful getaway from Madrid. Want a day of the city this is the perfect place to go. It’s not super big but has enough to do and you can end the day by having some bomb food. I especially liked food and atmosphere at Jose Maria (a must do when in Segovia).
You can get to Segovia by bus, train or bla bla car.
- Bla Bla Car– is an app you download on your phone then you’re ready to go. It’s like Uber where drivers put where they are traveling to and you can join them at a cost. A round trip fareto Segovia starts at 10€. It will take about an hour to get to Segovia by car.
- Train-AVE high Speed– A round trip ticket to Segovia will start at 34€ but will only take 30 mins to get there. The train leaves from Chamartin Station.
- Bus-La Sepulvedana is the company that will take you there leaving from Moncloa. A roundtrip ticket starts at 14,21€ and will take about an hour to get there.
Read More: Things to do in Segovia
The world heritage city of Avila is a must see. Avila is known for its formidable medieval walls, an intact fortified ring around the old city.
Leaving from Madrid, you can get to Avila by bus or train.
- Train– A round trip ticket on the renfe will start at 17€and takes a little under two hours to get there. The train leaves from the Chamartin Station.
- Bus-Jiménez Dorado Autocares is the company that will take you there leaving from Estación sur. A roundtrip ticket starts at 13,41€ and will take about an hour and fifteen minutes to get there.
*Avila is still on my To Visit list*
This beautiful World Heritage Site is full of charm and historical monuments. Warning, be prepared to walk uphill a lot, like a lot. But other than that it is a must visit.
You can get to Cuenca by bus, bla bla car or train.
- Bus: Avanzais the company that will take you there leaving from Mendez Alvaro. A round trip ticket starts 21,57€ at and will take about 2.5 hours to get there.
- Train: A round trip ticket on the renfewill start at 23,80€ and takes about 3 hours to get there. Whereas a round trip ticket on the renfe AVE will start at 26,30€ and takes about an hour.
- Bla Bla Car– A round trip fare starts at 16€. It will take about 1.5 hours to get to Cuenca by car.
Read More: Things to do in Cuenca